It’s our sons birthday soon, he is turning 4 🙂
I want to host a treasure hunt for him and the children he has invited.
The stores did not have a treasure chest I liked (I’m quite hard to please… :p), so I decided to make one myself.
Which design to work out from, other than the oldschool treasure chest;
The Solid Chest, from World of Warcraft.
Solid, especially since it has to survive the hands of many 4 year old children, see how that fits!
Originally I wanted to do a paper- fold it- kinda deal, and make it true to the in game model, but since it has to survive being hidden, as well as being played with afterwards, I chose to compromize. (Which boy does not adore dressing up as pirate and go “Yaaarrr!”?)
I actually did not take a picture of the box I used, before I started. I know, hah, but I didn’t think if sharing it at the time. But I managed to find a picture from when it was given, even though its a little blurry, it gives you an idea, I hope.
This is how it looked like.
Ok, getting started!
I started with finding a picture of the chest online. Then I enhanced it my editor program, so it would look more colourful in print too. I used the strongest quality of paper my printer can handle.
Since I can only print in A4, I had to make some kind of background, otherwise it would not have covered the entire box. The background is just me having copied the wooden parts of the chest and put it next to each other.
I did experience some trouble with adjusting the size to the box.
In an ideal world, I would have used the upper part of the chest for the lid and the lower for the bottom, but it just did not match well, especially since I used a flat box, and not a “real treasure chest box”. Again, practical compromise for the purpose.
This is what I was working out from.
Then I cut out the print. (I printed multiple, to cover the sides and top too.) I used “double sided tape”, a very strong kind, to make sure it will stay put. (Again little childrens hands 🙂 )
I tried to make it sit, as close to the edge as possible. But not too “thick” around the sides; the top already sits quite “tight” on it. (Teehee, I am awesome in explaining this, am I not 😛 )
A few pictures of the process, such an organised mess, I know 🙂
For the bottom I chose a very sturdy kind of carton. The important part is, that it’s surface is smooth – so the chest will easily glide across the floor, furnitures, where ever it will be used. It’s a bonus that it looks a little like sand – with imagination!
For the inside of the box, I had gold-carton. Now that I look at the pictures, if I could do it over, I would probably have used the chest/wooden look-paper for the lid instead. But oh, well 🙂 The gold fits fine too!
I used glue around all the edges of the printed paper, to reinforce it.
I had glue with sparkles in, so that’s what I used. I wanted this project to cost as little as possible, but if not, then I would have bought colored glue, without sparkles. During the process, glitter is EVERYWHERE! (but when its dry, it’s fine though)
I did not use glue on the bottom. The sturdy carton does not need it, and it glides easier without.
Here are a a few close ups of it.
I chose Bronze and Silver Glue for the outside.
On the inside I used Gold Glitter Glue.
And here is the final result 🙂
Overall I’m quite OK with how it turned out 🙂
My son has no idea it’s from a game I play, but me and hubby does, and it makes us both chuckle a little when we look at it!
Thank you so much for visiting and reading and watching, and have a wonderful day! 🙂